Tuesday, November 13, 2007

HW#31 Reponse to Riverbend.

After Reading the assigned pages in Riverbend's "Baghdad Burning," we were asked to choose a person, place, or thing, and do a little research on them. I chose Donald Rumsfeld. I noticed that in "Baghdad Burning," Riverbend seems to have a little resentment for Rumsfeld, which made me want to learn a little more about him. Donald Henry Rumsfeld was born July 9, 1932. Donald is a U.S. Republican Politician; he was both the youngest and oldest politician to have held the position. As well as the only person to have held the position for two non-consecutive terms, and the second longest serving, behind Robert McNamara. I also found out that Donald served in the US Navy from 1954 to 1957 as a naval aviator and flight instructor. He also served as an official in numerous federal commissions and councils. In March of 2005, a lawsuit was filed against Rumsfeld by eight detainees who said they were subject to abuse and torture by US forces. I found this to be very interesting. By finding out more background information on Donald Rumsfeld, I find that now reading on in Riverbend's book, I can understand partly where she is coming from when she mentions things about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld

No comments: