Thursday, October 25, 2007

HW#24: A Room of My Own.

We were asked to read chapters 5&6 in Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own." And then consider what Woolf would say about where we have come in history. Also if I had a room of my own. To answer that question I would have to say that I do have a room of my own. "I am talking of the common life which is the real life and not the separate lives which we live as individuals -and have five hundred a year each of us and rooms of our own; if we have the habit of freedom and the courage to write exactly what we think; if we escape a little from the common sitting room and see human beings not always in their relationships to each other but in relation to reality."(Woolf pg.113-114) I think this shows where we are today. I know that each of us may not had a room of their own before, but now we do have the courage and freedom, and with that freedom we can write exactly what we think and feel. And we should escape from the "common" room and reality, go out on our own. My room of one's own would be the library. I know I can go there, find a nice quiet spot, and read and write as I please. There I have no distractions, and I can be myself without anyone telling me different. I am free there.

No comments: